Sunday, October 28, 2007

Biblical View of Man and Woman

I've been inspired by Troy's posts...so for the second time in the history of this blog, I'm posting something completely unrelated to Jack. Sorry grandparents! :)

I've been having some great discussions with a few of my players on several books lately, and we actually came up with a book list during our last two bus trips. It has been fascinating for me to connect with them on an intellectual level as although I know learning styles, how they are motivated, academic and career interests as well as volleyball strength and weaknesses, I don't often get to hear what they think about, say, a book.

Our recent discussions have been over the book, Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge. Ironically, a MOPS book club option that came up recently was Wild at Heart, so we've brought that into the mix too. After reading WAH, and trying to get through all of Captivating (I ended up skimming near the end...couldn't take it anymore), and then reading several reviews on both books, I felt pretty strongly on my opinion of the book and was eager to engage my players/coaches.

I found many of us had serious concerns about the ideas presented in both books, although a few players did enjoy Captivating. The biggest concerns I have relate to what seems to me, a serious lack of scriptural backing and even, scripture being used out of context. In the interest of space and time, I'm attaching some links on reviews to the books and would enjoy hearing what others think about them. Maybe a nice adult discussion for our next get-together? Just kidding! Either way, enjoy the links and if interested, email me back with your thoughts. With no time for book club, no good friends (oh wait, no TIME for friends), and no Sunday School class yet as we haven't gotten that figured out, I receive my intellectual group stimulation via blogs. :)

Reviews on Captivating:
http://www.bethanycentral.org/resources/answers/details.asp?id=83
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/august/25.60.html

Review on Wild at Heart:
http://www.churchofthegoodshepherd.info/structuralimages/resourcesimages/WAHcritique.htm

2 comments:

Troy said...

I have not read Captivating, but I did read WAH about 7 or 8 years ago. At the time, I LOVED the book, and contrary to the attached review, it did not "lead me away from the One who could help me" (somewhat paraphrased).
To me, the conflict seems a bit frenetic. I think Eldredge wrote to a specific audience, and most of the audience received the book with gratefulness and enthusiasm- he provided some justification for living out a passion for Christ that had been buried. No longer was being a "nice" guy the ultimate ambition for the Christian man.

People have a right to disagree, but I'm not sure why the debate became so frenzied!
It was a book. One book, albeit a popular, widely-read book. Like many books, there are some great things and some things you can leave on the page. WAH is no different.

As for the Scriptural context argument, Eldredge has a lens like everyone else. From my standpoint, I don't have a clue what an appropriate context is, and I tend to think the most danger arises from those who do adamantly purport a "true" contextual lens.
Maybe the best lens is the one that draws us nearer to the Lord, whatever that may be (I'm sure there could be intense backlash against a statement like this :) ). ...but for now, I'm going to stick with it. I'm becoming too aware of my idolatry and arrogance to think that I hold a monopoly on truth, especially Biblical truth and correct contextual interpretation.
In my opinion, we're all pretty messed-up: Catholic, Reformed, Fundamentalists, Emerging, etc.
I'm just glad that "Truth" is not up to me, and I'm even more glad that there is abounding Grace - in my misunderstandings and in my sinful arrogance.

And as for WAH, it wouldn't be on the top of my reading list anymore (nor on my recommendation list), but I still think the book can have great value, especially to Christian men. Is it equal to the Bible? No. Are there other books out there that are probably better? Yes.
But overall, I think it's done more good than harm.

Brittany said...

Interesting thoughts...thanks for sharing! I agree that those books do have value for some and shouldn't be discounted. I know when the discussion came up for a MOPS book club read, I stressed that unless someone felt like this would be the thing that draws someone closer (as you highlighted), I would have to throw caution. But as you said, the important thing is developing a deeper relationship with Christ. When does it become a danger though with views that some argue are not biblical? Obviously we live in a post-modern world and I don't like splitting hairs over non-essentials like this, but I guess it is a broader implication for me: if I "endorse" a viewpoint of someone else's that I find unbiblical, could I not be a stumbling block? That doesn't mean I judge or say "that is sin", but shouldn't we, if appropriate, and as we feel led, say something to challenge and allow growth in both ourselves and those we discuss with?

Love these discussions...it is my intellectual outlet! :) Thanks Troy!